Sunday, August 15, 2010

BEDA #14-15 - Otakuthon: Saturday and Sunday

Hi there.

Sorry about the lack of BEDA for the past 2 days, but I've been Otakuthon-ing it up! It was a huge relief to go through the next two days without having to worry about performances or carrying heavy bags xD

A lot of Saturday was spent looking around and checking out people's costumes and taking pictures. Personally I also did a lot of shopping, I ended buying too many pins. I love pins. I also bought a really cute poster of Haruhi. I think the best purchase made on Saturday was this drawing that Alex, Annie, and I all split on. It was a drawing of us in Hogwarts uniforms and because for the majority of the year we're without our internet friends, "The Trio" was written on top. It was a beautiful picture and all of us look supermegafoxyawesomehot in anime form. Some of us also checked out a panel by Quinton Flynn who voiced the character Axel in Kingdom Hearts. He was really cool IRL. It's strange meeting a voice actor, you can know the character so well and then you see guy who plays them and it's just strange. Later on at night we went to the Cosplay Cafe and watched some karaoke. I was going to sing a song for my friend but I wasn't able to because of my dead voice/other things going on.
Saturday night was pretty eventful. During karaoke, my friend realized he'd lost his wallet so we went back to this bubble tea lounge that we stayed at for a little while and it turns out that it was there so all was well. We walked back to karaoke to find my friend sitting down in mid-spazzing. I sat down with her and she explained that a boy in her grade had called her and asked her to prom then a little while after the call was over, she got another call from another boy saying that she had 20 minutes to decide who she was going with. She had no idea what to do. She doesn't talk to either of these boys much so all of our friends told her that she shouldn't go through with it if she didn't want to, and she did.
How can they be so daft? Yes I said daft. I've been watching Doctor Who, wuddup?
But seriously! Who calls a girl who you barely talk to in the middle of summer asking to go to prom which only happens around May-June. WTF. At least take the year to get to know her better then you can see where you get from there. To wrap up the night we watched some epic fireworks and went to a dance party. No one can party like nerds, honestly. And it's so awesome because no one judges you for being weird or dancing badly because everyone is just so awesome.

Saturday night I slept at Alex's house and I learned that when I'm tired I speak like a mad man xD
We woke up at about 8 and got to the con around 10 or 11. I spent most of the morning finishing my shopping, I bought a few more posters and a few more pins. We also went to this thing called "Cosplay Chess" which is pretty self explanatory, but it was so awesome! The concept was manga characters on one side and video game characters on the other.
It was really awesome.
Whenever a player was taken out, the character doing the taking out and the character being taken out would leave the chess board and do an epic battle scene. Some of them were pretty funny. My favourite was the Tomoyo kill, taking multiple pictures of the target (you wouldn't understand unless you watch Cardcaptor Sakura.) A few of my friends also tried out for Otakuthon Idol which is basically American Idol but you know...Otakuthon.
Only one of my friends got in and when he was performing I was so nervous for him. It was awful. I wasn't even DOING anything, all I had to do was cheer. I can't imagine what he was feeling. But he was fantastic. My favourite performer was this girl around my age, probably older, singing this slow ballad. She was really pretty and very talented.
During Otakuthon Idol I took the time to run back to the Merch room and grab this poster from the same girl who drew our group picture. All of her posters were her own artwork and she made this beautiful Deathly Hallows poster. It's so awesome.
You can see it here: http://dailybooth.com/PatrickWrocks/7254006
The last thing we did was check out the Closing Ceremonies dance routine because the performers said that they wanted us to see it. It was interesting. It was a Death Note themed dance and it was pretty cool!

We were supposed to go out to Korean dinner afterwards but it didn't happen.
This blog is five minutes late! Ok so, I had a great weekend, I hope you all did too andd I will probably see you tomorrow, both on here and NerdfighterRatio on YouTube!

Bye!

-PatrickWrocks

2 comments:

  1. I left a comment on this, but it has mysteriously disappeared. Huh. Anyway, it sounds like Otakuthon was awesome and I can't remember what else I said. I fail at writing comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Otakuthon was great. *smiles reminiscently*

    ReplyDelete